Donate US

 photo cub_buttonUSA_zps260251ee.png  photo cub_buttonAllOther_zps266319dc.png

Tuesday, 19 May 2009

NamibRand Boys - as of 18/May

It's been a very tense week for our boys... and those of us tasked to watch them. Not only did they wander over to the base of the mountains again, but they tangled with the region's most fearsome predator; a leopard; with fairly predictable results. Before that drama however, our boys made a most remarkable kill. Here are James' words on the subject...

We got back out and at around 9 (12th May) finally got a sighting of the boys.

They all looked fine and just seemed to be wandering aimlessly. Walking up a small hill, the stopped to rest in a bush and the shade it provided. As they rested, a big, lone, bull red Hartebeest came walking over the side of the hill. He was about 200 m from the Cheetahs and they paid him little attention. Luck was not with this guy today as he walked closer and closer to the boys until they couldn’t help but show a little interest. All of a sudden, they went in super-wild Cheetah mode and disappeared into the grass. We could only just see them as they strafed the bushes as he walked past them and down the hill. They then skulked down the hill and broke into a run, he never knew what was happening. He must have run between 50 to 100m before Mushara and Lindt caught up to him. Mush, running along side of him, executed a perfect trip on the front legs and grabbed him by the throat at the same time. Lindt then rose up on his back legs, and grabbed the huge bull by the shoulders, pulling him to the Earth. Two of the other boys where there in a split second, helping to keep him down. One of our guys however, never ran. He just sat up on the hill and it looked as if he may be limping. It’s probably either Kia or Ra but I couldn’t see well enough as he started to move after the kill was made. He did run down there though, and was putting weight on the leg so it can’t be all that bad.

So now they’re fighting with this Hartebeest. He’s definitely not a quitter. All five have got a hold of him. Two on the legs, two on the throat and front legs and Lindt is lying between its horns, teeth sunk into the back of its neck… They fight for a good while before it finally drops and the boys relax. Obviously tired out, they all lie down, some of them even moving off a little ways to some shade. About 20 minutes later, die regte kanniedood of a Hartebeest stands up again and try’s to stumble off! You can imagine the boys surprise as they all jump up and run back over to start the fight all over again. About another ten minutes or so goes by before he finally goes down and kicks his last kick. Lindt isn’t taking any chances though and actually climbs up and stands on the dead Hartebeest! He stays there for a few minutes, looking around, watching us, before he’s finally satisfied. They rest again for a while before, tucking in and when I found them again later this evening, they where still going although they’re all so full they look absolutely hilarious!

By the following morning however, it was clear that Ra was not at all well. An investigation of the area they had been in revealed a lot of leopard prints, and a close look at the other four cheetahs showed extensive, although more minor wounds on all of them (except Mushara). As time progressed, Ra lost more and more ground, and it soon became clear that he could no longer keep up with the others.

A fortunate chance however, was that CCF Vet. Tech. Rachel was in the area on holiday, and she and James closely examined Ra, before consulting with us back at CCF. As a result, the next few days saw Ra being administered a course of antibiotics in small pieces of meat, and after several doses he began to show a marked improvement.

On May 18th, when we got out to Ra, I gave him his antibiotics and marvelled at how far he had travelled again, and at the almost full recovery he’s made with his leg. He’ll walk maybe ten to fifteen steps before making a “bad” one where his tail will stick upwards and he’ll miss a step. It doesn’t seem to bother him much though, and he just keeps on moving. After he got his meat and medicine, I noticed that he was following me back to the truck slowly. I decided to use this great opportunity to our advantage and using the never-failing “come, come” call, Paul and I played pied piper and slowly, very slowly, led him down the road back towards the pens. At first he was reluctant, constantly looking over his shoulder but eventually he pick up some speed and followed us for a good distance.

Soon however, the sun was up and shining and Ra grew tired of this game and decided he would rest under a bush. Knowing this could be him for the day, I got on the radio with Mike and Ann, determined to push this fast-healing cat a little harder. They brought up some meat for us and after a little coaxing Ra was following once again. Now, I’ve seen a lot in my short time on this Earth but nothing could have prepared us for what happened next. As Ra was following the dangling Springbok, a small Scrub Hare ran from the bushes at his feet. Without hesitation, or any obvious effort he took chase. The Hare, made a frantic on-the-spot turn and doubled back on itself. Unfortunately for him, our not-so-injured Cheetah can do the same and had a nice little bunny breakfast. I couldn’t believe this and after awhile, I knew he was going to be interested in a piece of defrosted Springbok so we left our Champion to eat in peace. He definitely deserved it.

That afternoon, Paul and Abraham managed to not only medicate Ra again, but "herded" him back to the girls pen, and his waiting coalition mates. After which, a very enthusiastic reunion followed. We are confident that Ra will be able to keep up with the others now, and should soon make a full recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment